Garage door openers open and close your garage door. What else do you know about garage door openers? If you answered not much, then this article is for you. Here, we’ll explore some important garage door facts for homeowners.
- Garage door openers make life easier. It’s so much easier to get into and out of your garage with a garage door opener. For example, you can just open the door from your car and enter the garage with no problem. The same is true for exiting.
- Garage door openers help you figure out signs that your garage door is in need of repairs. If, when you open the garage door, you hear strange noises coming from the door, then it’s time to call a professional to get a repair. You should always have professionals perform garage door and garage door opener repairs because these mechanisms have lots of parts and are dangerous to work with.
- Garage door openers work on electricity. They may come with locking and unlocking accessories like switches, remotes, keyed or wireless entries.
- Garage door openers have a power unit with an electric motor, which is attached to a track. Door openers come with different mechanisms such as chain drive units, belt drive openers, screw-drive openers, jackshaft openers and direct drive units.
- Garage door openers allow you to open the door differently, depending on the unit. Some are on a wall console. Others are door remotes. There are button remotes of differing types. You can get a sophisticated wireless keypad – some even work on just your fingerprint. Then, there’s the keyless remote.
- It’s important to get a garage door opener with a manual emergency release mechanism, especially when the power goes out. Otherwise, you’ll be unable to use your garage.
- Garage doors usually open slowly, but you can get a garage door opener that will allow your door to open faster.
- You have the choice between AC and DC motors. DC motors are usually quieter. For your best results, look for a motor with .5 horsepower.
- Get a garage door opener with a vacation setting so if you’re going away for a longer period, you’ll have the added security of knowing your garage door will remain closed and that no one can break into your garage or home while you’re away.
Garage door openers are an important mechanism, one that can help protect your home from break-ins. Now that you know more about them, hopefully you’ll treat them with the respect that they deserve. We, at Texas Garage Repair, know about garage door openers and are happy to help you if they need a repair. Call us today at 512.518.6606 for more information.